- The largest country in South America.
- The only Portuguese speaking country in the Americas.
- The largest Portuguese speaking country in the world.
- The fifth largest country in the world.
- Brazil has the eighth largest economy in the world.
- It is the furthest east of any country in the Americas.
- Has the second highest number of airports in the world.
- Has the third largest road network on earth.
- Has the 10th largest railroad network on the planet.
- Brazil is the longest country in the world, and spans approximately 2800 miles from north to south via land.
Facts about the Brazilian Economy
- Brazil is one of the fastest growing economies in the world today and currently has an average annual GDP (gross domestic product) growth rate of 5%.
- It is one of the few countries that have successfully managed to reduce economic inequality in their population in recent times, when inequities are growing in so many other places.
- Brazil is one of the world’s leading producers of hydroelectric power.
- Brazil is 100% energy independent! That is quite an accomplishment! Brazil became energy independent in 2006, making a full turn around from years past when imported oil was as high as 70% of the country’s needs.
- Brazil has the 9th highest number of billionaires in the world.
- It is one of the largest producers of apples.
Facts about the Brazilian Rainforests
- Brazil has the greatest biodiversity of any country, and the most species of plants, freshwater fish, and mammals.
- It is third in the world for numbers of species of birds, and fifth in the world for reptiles.
- Brazil has the most species of monkeys in the world.
- The Brazilian rainforest is 60% of the Amazon Rainforest.
- Brazil contains 25% of the world’s rainforests.
- Amazon basin gets 7 feet or more of rain a year.
- The Amazon river is second longest in the world, BUT it is the largest river in the world in water volume.